Generally Error 1933 reads, “Windows files must be installed for your installation to proceed”. This error occurs, when a user tries to install a Microsoft project on a Windows XP system (or Microsoft 2000 or Microsoft 2003). So, this problem occurs when the files to be installed face conflicts with the operating system.
Cause of Error 1933:
This problem occurs when Microsoft project attempts to copy Fpencode.dll file, which has been write-protected by any of the above mentioned operating systems. This behavior occurs, when you try to install the Microsoft project in a system that is running on OEM version of Windows XP. Your system will not allow the installation of files and the setup will try to overwrite these files.
If your system is running on Windows XP Home edition, then you will be prompted to insert Windows XP Professional CD.
How to resolve Error 1933?
You need to copy the Fpencode.dll file from the Microsoft’s project to the location—Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\40\Bin folder. Let us see the steps involved in doing this:
- Insert the CD of the Microsoft Project. Make sure that the CD shouldn’t run automatically. So, you need to press & hold the ‘Shift’ key.
- Open your Windows Explorer and navigate to the location that has your Microsoft project, usually CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
- Search for ‘Fpencode.dll’ file and copy it, by right clicking on it.
- Go to Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\40\Bin folder location and paste ‘Fpencode.dll’ file into it.
- ‘Confirm File Replace’ dialog box will appear asking for the confirmation of replacing the files. Confirm it, by clicking ‘Yes’.
- Exit your Windows Explorer folder.
- Now, run Microsoft’s project and you will be able to install the files successfully.
If this doesn’t work, then you may need to copy ‘Fp4autl.dll’ file too. After these two files are copied from the Microsoft Project, run the project and it should work.